Maryland Marijuana Laws
Recreational marijuana is illegal in Maryland with medical legalized in 2013. Read on to learn more about Maryland's current marijuana laws and where you can find a marijuana dispensary in your area.
What you need to know about Maryland’s Cannabis Laws
- Medical marijuana is legal in the state of Maryland for adults with a qualifying condition who are registered with the Medical Marijuana Cannabis Commission (MMCC)
- Maryland is home to medical marijuana dispensaries located across the state
- Recreational marijuana is illegal in Maryland
- Possessing up to 10 grams of marijuana in Maryland is decriminalized and now a civil offense punishable with a $100 fine
- It is illegal to grow marijuana in the state of Maryland for residents even if you are a medical marijuana patient
Maryland Medical Marijuana Laws
In 2013, Maryland legalized the use of medical marijuana for qualified patients if recommended by a physician. Doctors must determine if a patient has a qualifying condition and is a good candidate for medical marijuana. Despite medical marijuana being legalized in 2013, it wasn’t until 2017 that dispensaries opened to serve patients. Medical marijuana dispensaries are limited to two dispensaries per state Senate district. A number of large health systems in the state barred physicians from recommending marijuana for their patients.
How to get approved for medical marijuana in Maryland
Potential patients must meet with a physician who is certified by the state to recommend medical marijuana. If a physician feels you are a good candidate, they will issue a certification allowing patients to apply to the MMCC registry website. Once applications are approved, patients may visit registered dispensaries to purchase medical marijuana.
If you are traveling to Maryland and possess an out-of-state medical marijuana card, you are not allowed to purchase marijuana from a medical dispensary.
Recreational Marijuana Legislation in Maryland
Over the past decade, a number of bills have been proposed to legalize recreational marijuana in Louisiana but have yet to make significant progress. In 2021, a new House bill and a new Senate bill have been introduced targeting legalization. Sponsors of those two bills are currently working together to propose a single bill to bring to committees in both the House and Senate.
Additional Marijuana Laws to be Aware of in Maryland
- Driving under the influence of marijuana is illegal in the state of Maryland and drivers may be asked to submit to a chemical test if expected of driving while impaired
- The use of marijuana in public places is prohibited even for medical marijuana patients
- Only licensed growers certified by the state are allowed to grow medical marijuana to distribute through state-run dispensaries
Search the popular strains in Maryland and learn more about their effects, THC/CBD content, uses and more.
Find the most conveniently located dispensaries in Maryland including: medical, recreational, delivers, and more.Browse Dispensaries →